Tree planting is an underrated cultural practice that has huge beneficial effects in the environment. The benefits of planting trees around your farm are copious. Trees are wonderful component of the earth; aside from the fact that they give life through the provision of air for all living things, trees are like shield that protects humans from environmental hazards.
Tree planting can make a farm more productive than the management envisaged. Irrespective of your form of farming, be it crop or livestock production, trees can greatly boost the productivity of your farm.
Most of the disease pathogens, both plants and animals, are aerosols, that is, they are mostly present in the air. Presence of trees around your farm will help to absorb these pathogens and keep your farm clean and uncontaminated.
Climate change is another factor that has become worrisome. Change in climate is having huge effects in livestock production, such as heat stress. Planting of trees will produce a cooling effect around your farm, hence, helping your livestock overcome their unbearable heat condition.
Plantain and banana farmers can be testify to this:
When the velocity of the wind is high and causes huge storm, several stands of plantains and bananas suffer this mishap. In severe cases, it leads to total loss of crop and conversely loss of profit of the farmer. This incidence can be corrected simply by planting trees as wind breaks.
A lot of farm hazards can be corrected through planting of trees. It is a pity that industrialization is subduing the existence of agriculture; this is unproductive and unethical. Agriculture has been in existence from the days of yore; agriculture should set standards for other forms of development like industrialization and not otherwise as it is presently in vogue. Who says farming cannot be done in the urban areas; after all, urban dwellers also eat.
Farmers should not be treated as minors as they are main contributors to global development. Agriculture and other forms of developments should complement each other and not one subduing the other. Cutting of trees for non-agricultural purposes is detrimental to the health of the society. It is one of the causes of the global shortage of food.
Planting trees around the farm is very important and comes with many benefits. Some of them are:
- Trees regulate Temperature: Of course, this is an established fact. Trees provides a natural cooling effect and air conditioning. When the environmental temperature is high and becoming unbearable for farm animals, trees help to mitigate this condition. You would notice that under high temperature, farm animals tends to move under trees; you would probably assume the tree serves as shade but it is not really true. The farm animals obtain cool air to regulate their body temperature. Absence of trees in your farm denies your animals this benefit, therefore, making them unproductive.
- Trees absorb pollutants and air impurities: This is very true. Trees absorb air pollutants and impurities, thus, providing your farm animals with fresh air to breath in. Industrialization has subjected the world to several impurities and pollutants. The burning of fuel in heavy industries leads to the release of poisonous gases like carbon-monoxide that are harmful to all living things, including plants and animals. However, if you plant trees around your farm, the trees would absorb these gases and reduces their deleterious effects on both plants and farm animals.
- Trees improve ventilation:This is absolutely the fact. Trees improves ventilation through the provision of fresh air. Ventilation is very important in a livestock farm, especially poultry farming. One of the ways to reduce the emergence and spread of poultry diseases and heat stress is ventilation. In other words, we can say tree planting is one of the ways to reduce the emergence of poultry diseases and heat stress .
- Trees serve as windbreak: Windbreak is a defense mechanism against the detrimental effects of heavy wind on crops and farm animals. Trees are the best form of windbreak; they reduce the negative effects of high winds on crops and animals.
- Trees purifies the atmosphere: Through the process of exchange of impurities and pollutants with fresh air, the atmosphere becomes purified.
You can plant any tree around your farm, they will serve the aforementioned purposes. Neem tree is a good tree that can be planted; it is a pest repellent tree and also very medicinal. To maximize your farm profit, you can plant other tree crops like mango and cashew; they are both good.
Planting trees is a prerequisite to healthy living. The world population is increasing and the need of oxygen is also increasing. Cutting down trees can be exemplified to cutting down lives; plant trees around your farm to increase the productivity of your farm. Plant trees around your house to increase the livelihood of your neighborhood.
Remember to share!
WOULD YOU LOVE TO RECEIVE REGULAR POSTS FROM THIS BLOG?
THEN, SUBSCRIBE BY ADDING YOUR EMAIL IN THE SUBSCRIPTION PANE BELOW